November 23, 2006

Lage Raho Munnabhai - the special features















I finally got my LRM DVD late last week, and of course re-watched and re-loved the film immediately.
Now I went for the special features. I am a sucker for well made behind-the-scenes features on a DVD. They play a big big part in my buying desicions. If I ponder on whether or not to buy a certain film it´s most of the times the selection of Extras on that disc that bring about the decision for me. That and the quality of the Audiotracks and the Video encoding.

Which here it is crap. Eros really messed up (again). Whole scenes are blurry and any movement gets grainy. To an extent that really hurts the film.











But the Extra features are bilkul first class. No deleted scenes though, but then I was not really missing anything in the story during the film (other then KANK for example where the deleted scenes are necessary to understand some the characters motives).
What V.V.Chopra offers us here are almost two hours of Making-ofs, interviews and backstage chit-chat.
I especially liked the "M.B.B.S to Lage Raho" sequence. Footage on what happened after the success of M.B.B.S and comments of the crew and cast on it from today´s viewpoint.
And a to my knowledge rare sight: LOTS of comments from a very relaxed Sanjay Dutt. There is also a basanti-ish sweet Arshad Warsi with a slight sinus problem. The whole DVD is produced like a kind of family affair as we also get to hear and see Sanjay´s sisters and Arshad´s wife and kid in addition to the usual suspects of producer, director, cast and crew.
Be aware though. Like always these features are without subtitles, and here you get quite a lot of Hindi spoken parts.















So go and get the Eros disc if you want 2 hours of cool
Lage Raho Munnabhai DVD extras. If you don´t care about stuff like that, wait for a possible other future release, somebody must be able to produce a better quality video encoded DVD someday.

3 comments:

Maja said...

Oh noooo, bad quality again? I've already ordered it :/ But it looks so nice, the packaging is much more elegant than most of the other Eros DVDs I've seen. I ordered it about a week ago, I thought it would've been here by now but I still haven't got it, I hope it didn't get lost in the mail or something :o
Still, good to hear the special features are nice (although *deep sigh* for no subtitles :( I guess we're not exactly the primary market for them), I'm the same as you, always check the special features when I'm trying to decide if I should buy a movie or not.

Anonymous said...

I'm so disappointed to hear (both from you and others) that Eros has done it again. I love this film so much and I really was hoping for a decent DVD transfer. I was planning on showing it at my next movie party but now I'm reconsidering because of the DVD quality issues.

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is a great film, but I preferred Munna Bhai MBBS as I have gone to med college in India (I could really relate to that one more).