November 15, 2006

Om Jai Jagadish - family first

There is this great old villa on Juhu beach. Gulmohar Villa. Its is owned by the Batra family. Mom (Waheeda Rehman) and her three sons live there.










Om (Anil Kapoor) the eldest has taken over the role of the caretaker ever since is father died and brought up his younger brothers. Jai (Fardeen Khan) does actually not live in the house since he is in the States studying to become a car designer with the goal to build the "fastest car in the world". And then there is chota bhai, Jagdish (Abhishek Bachchan) still in college, terrific in sports and computers, always short in cash but a real nice guy. Om works at a record company and takes loans on the house from his boss to finance Jai education. Not wise. As bad boss will take said loan one day to really send family in trouble. But first sab teek hai.









Om finds very nice biwi (Mahima Chaudhry) and has very sweet son. Jai finds NRI girl (Urmila Matondkar) in Atlanta and they move back to Mumbai to get married. That´s when the trouble start. The new bahu doesn´t get along with the conservative values of her in-laws and to add to their woes, Jagadish lands himself into a big mess at the college. So the happy days are gone in Gulmohar Villa. And the brothers go their own ways. And then it gets even worse.










Om Jai Jagadish was Anupam Khers directoral debut. And he dishes up some highly emotional drama. With endearing characters. In my quest to watch all AB 2.0 films I stumbled upon this small gem more then a year ago and I still love it. Whenever I need a healthy dose of family values, a soaking wet AB 2.0 walking out of the surf and some tear jerking drama I pop it into the DVD player and just feel good watching it. And I dream of living in
Gulmohar Villa.

5 comments:

Maja said...

I'm on a sort of half-hearted quest to see all of Abhi's movies as well, but since I got the impression that none of his earlier ones (pre-2003 or so?) are any good, I'm not in any hurry ;) This one sounds good though, especially the soaking wet bit (in a suit that matches the colour of the sea, no less!) ...

babasko said...

I knew the soaking wet thing would grab your attention LOL

and I think its really one of his better early movies

Beth Loves Bollywood said...

I saw part of this on tv in India. I actually have a picture of it on the screen, which of course turned out very poorly. But I'd rent it, definitely.

Anonymous said...

on aji jagdish was an awesome movie!!!!!! i loved it.......and i would definetly watch it more than once!:*)

Anonymous said...

I second that! Awesome movie. I can watch it any time.