August 19, 2006

Doli Saja Ke Rakhna - Oh guys. Shanti. Please.

How much can a guy get beaten up? And that for virtually nothing. Haan, haan its for love. But really haven´t middleaged indian filmi guys learned to communicate yet?
Judge for yourself.
Inder, a MBA student, falls in love with girl.










Totally innocent. He hasn´t even changed a word with her yet, when the first of three brothers of the girl beats him up. Being a policewala he takes him and his friends into custody and they get a nice thrashing. Second brother hears about it and grabs his sports buddies to beat the boys up yet again. The boys survive and drag themselves to a doctor who, as wonderful filmi karma will have it, is the ladki´s third brother. He being educated does not beat them up, put injects some creepy substance into the poor guys derrieres. And all that before the girl even utters one sentence to the boy.











The bruses and abrations have one good thing though. The girl also falls in love with him. But there is trouble ahead. The bhais are still after our hero and his parents are also objecting a girl from that kind of family. So for health reasons the young couple runs. And finds shelter at one friends fisherman father. But before getting married doubts arise in both hearts. Can they hurt their families in that way? Isn´t it their duty to be good children first? So will they or won´t they?











Sounds cheesy. And it is. But it is also sometimes funny, sometimes sweet and endearing. And the reason why it works is the great cast. You get Akshaye Khanna and Jyothika as the lovebirds. Anupam Kher, Paresh Rawal and Amrish Puri. And Ninad Kamat, who´s participation once again drove me to madness as I could not place where I knew him from. Arghh he´s not even listed on imdb or indiafm. Even though he has a major role in the movie here. Har har, try and stop me. Of course I found out. Parineeta! Dus! But I´m rambling. Doli Saja Ke Rakhna is good old conservative lovestory masala fair. With decent music and nice pictures. And not only a must see for Beth and me.
P.S: Btw. Beth, I claim Inder. Sorry, but having lived in Myconos for two summers (and missing it terribly) I can´t pass on a guy who dances beneath my windmills.










Sigh.

16 comments:

Beth Loves Bollywood said...

This is the kind of situation in which old me would have challenged you to a dance-off or something, because damn will you look a that picture?!? Sigh. [Takes minute to collect self.] But I don't want to get a reputation as completely aggressive and off my rocker, so new me will just ask politely if we can share.

Here and there when not watching movies, I think about Akshaye, and his consistently almost-tragic hair, and his questionable outfits, and his tendency to start yelling when he's trying to be dramatic, and my affections start to slip...but then every now and then something reminds me. Like this.

babasko said...

oh of course we can share, i just want to do the "dance beneath the windmills" thing. he´s so sweet in some of the scenes in that movie.there way enough for the both of us.

and as to a dance-off... now is the time where you might have a chance. my dance teacher has been home in mumbai since late june. so i´m a bit out of shape...

Beth Loves Bollywood said...

You have a dance teacher? I'm doomed. Doomed!

Maja said...

Can I watch this dance-off? Please? I promise I'll even bring special hand-painted signs to wave around during the contest.

Also, I just wanna say that Akshaye looks even more adorable in these pictures than usual. The hair! The hair!! Eep.

Beth Loves Bollywood said...

There will be no dance-off. I stink at dancing. I'll have to come up with something else to be really, really good at so I can finally win one of these things.

(I would never challenge Baba to anything. She is clearly very smart and funny and cultured and stuff. Plus she is a bhut accha dosti!)

And yes, he really does. Now that I've seen his dad in something, I'm even more sad about his typical hair problems. Vinod was rockin' the 70s feathers.

babasko said...

ok, now before Beth embarasses me even more with her great compliments, I need to make a confession. I love to dance. And yes I do take lessons from a true mumbaian (argh how do you spell that?) together with two friends. But so far the only compliment I got from my teacher was: "Look at Barbara, she smiles so beautifully when she dances" No "nice technique" or "elegant posture". Nope. I probably look like a very happy elephant wiggling away.
Thats, I guess, is the reason why I have instantly developed an obsession with the Ganapathi song from the new Don Promo yesterday :-D

Maja said...

Ah, but who doesn't love happy elephants? ;D

I'm a very clumsy dancer as well, I have a good sense of rhythm but as soon as it comes to something more complicated than tapping my foot, I'm lost. So that makes three of us then, we can start a club!

Movie Mazaa said...

This ones a remake of a Mallu film called Aniyathipravu directed by one of the best mallu directors of all times, Fazil.

The only difference is that DSR flopped miserably, whereas the original was a run-away hit!

:)

babasko said...

Oh, now thats interesting, thanx Velu. I might try that one as my first Mallu film then. :-D

Al Nims Media said...

Akshaye Khanna is a talented actor who never makes it to the big league inspite of his consistent performances.

Beth Loves Bollywood said...

In ball of giggles on the floor. I too am a happy elephant dancing, as I think that photo I posted will attest. Hurrah, my true soul mates ae here!

Movie Mazaa said...

Nooooooooooooooo Barbara! Dont!!
:)

There are any number of other Mallu movies that are worth watching than the one mentioned above. I shall get u a list soon, dont ya worry!

:)

babasko said...

@Velu: OK. LOL. If you ask so nicely, I shall wait :-D

@Beth: Why does a scene from Disney Jungle Book suddenly pop up in my head.

Anonymous said...

Babasko, re: "Mumbaian", there's always "Mumbaikar"...

I look at these pictures and I can't believe how long ago I saw this film, and HOW much hair Akshay Khanna had then!

I hope we get the new Kamalhasan film here (filmed partially in NYC), as Jyothika's in it too...

babasko said...

i´m curious about that one too, i liked the "contempurary" jyothika very much in chandramuki as well.

Anonymous said...

india patriotix songs
http://www.nagarnews.com