June 04, 2006

3 Deewarein or the definition of the term "having a bad day"

My mind was yearning for a bit more ambitious entertainment today, so I thought I´ll try 3 Deewarein which was waiting to be watched for quite some time already.
As you might have read in one of my earlier posts, I really liked Iqbal and so I was curious to see some earlier work of Nagesh Kukunoor. Its again a smaller movie almost like a screen adaption of a theatre play.










Unhappily married filmmaker (Juhi Chawla) does a documentary on three deathrow inmates at very (especially for india) humane prison.
One (Jackie Shroff) killed his wife and can´t wait for his verdict to be executed. Second (Naseeruddin Shah) by accident killed pregnant cashier at bank robbery and more then once tried to escape his fate. Third (Nagesh Kukunoor) insists on his being not guilty of sort of accidently killing his wife. Of course there are some sidestories, twists and turns. But thats about it then.

The story is beautifully narrated. Nagesh manages to put in some not too foreseeable twists. He also works with a great cast. 3 Deewarein was Juhi Chawlas comeback from maternity leave and she´s beautiful. I liked Jackie Shroff very much, as well as Gulshan Grover. But the showstopper is again Naseeruddin Shah. I still so need to see more of him. All characters are very well drawn so its easy for the actors to concentrate on acting only and they do just that, beautifully. So thumbs up from me.










If you have not watched the movie yet stop reading here. I need to adress a major twist that bothers me which would be a major major spoiler. So come back here only after you saw it and only then read on.

I read in many reviews that people accept that Ishaan was infact responsible for all three deaths. Thats why Ezri so fittingly said: this movie defines the term "having a bad day". Well, I do not think that he really did it. I belive that he only made a pact with Chandrika to confess the deads as amends to her loss. Why? Two or three times during conversations with Chandrika Ishaan insists on not being remorseful as he sees no use in it. Saying that remorse does not change anything. Whats done is done. His confession might be a way of remorse that actually mends something. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Dave Carrol said...

I think you're doing great with the English... keep it up!

dave

babasko said...

why thank you *blushes shyly*