June 10, 2006

Let´s Talk - the Boman Irani one man show

This is my first true indian arthouse film (I don´t count Chameli and Mr&Mrs Iyer as one of them) And the way it is made reminds me very much of modern austrian movies.

The story is intriguing. A married woman learns that she is pregnant, with her husband not being the father of the child. She envisions different ways her husband might react to help her decide whether she should tell him or not. There are shocking, funny, disturbing, reassuring versions. The great thing about the script is, that although the stories are so different there are still similarities in the character of the husband in every part. It is very believable that these are all facets of one persons charakter and thus plausible reactions to his wifes confession. All those different versions of the same guy are breathtakingly played by Boman Irani.










So far I have seen him in nine movies. All of them "big" movies where he had more or less small roles. Here the movie is all his. Its all about the husbands reaction and Boman can show every nuance of his craft. Love. Hate. Violence. Tenderness. Irony. Coldness. Sarcasm. Humor. Dispair. The screen is all his.

The movie is only 95min and its in English. I got it from Nehaflix.
Chal dekho na! Abhi!


Btw: Boman singing - very cool! Watch out Billy Joel!

4 comments:

Maja said...

I haven't seen anything with Boman Irani yet ...

Nehaflix doesn't deliver to Slovenia! I went to check it out after I read about it on your blog and I was getting really excited, trying to put together a not-too-long list of DVDs I wanted. And then I saw they only deliver to some European countries and SLO isn't one of them. I guess I'm still stuck with Amazon *sigh*

babasko said...

try and ask them. I remember another shop some time ago, that also said on their website that they send only to some countries and austria was not on their list. But I mailed them and they answered that of course they did...

babasko said...

and then you could still check out indiaweekly they reliable too, although their store is a bit chaotic and sometimes you don´t see if the DVDs are in stock. also the description is not always correct concerning subtitles.

Maja said...

I'll try mailing nehaflix and see what happens. Thanks for the indiaweekly link :) I didn't know about that site before.